Monday, August 10, 2009

Things to be Happy About: Part 1

A couple of weekends ago, Jen, the boys and I took a trip up to Lake Erie to relax and just BE for once, without running around or feeling like we have to accomplish something on the never-ending list of things to do.

Jenn surprised me by bringing along a book titled "14,000 Things to be Happy About," and had me read some entries out loud while she drove. It was a fun process and got us talking about what makes us happy...the little things. It's nice to think about those things in our own lives to keep us centered.

It's been a long, rough 6 months for me and my family, so we decided to blog our own lists. This is a short list, and I will add more in new entries over time.

So here it is: Greg's

Things to be Happy About:
  • New school supplies. Weird thing to start out with, I know, but 'tis the season. I love the sound and smell of brand new notebooks and pens, and picking out exactly what you need. No, we aren't in need of anything right now, but Evan is, and it's fun to go shopping for this kind of stuff.
  • A healthy family...especially when you don't have health insurance!!!
  • Opportunities. Being layed off, I can do anything I want. What do I want to be when I grow up? A dispatcher!
  • The opening riff to Poison's "Look What the Cat Dragged In" live. The crunchier the guitar the better. It literally gives me shivers of pleasure and excitement every time I hear it.
  • Jimmy Stewart movies. Jimmy was an amazing actor and an amazing man. I strive to be like him, but I don't want to be an actor.
  • Arena rock. I love 80s hair metal!!!!!
  • Finishing a really good book
  • Freshly-brewed coffee: Which I am drinking as I write this.
  • An hour of silence.
  • Satisfaction from a job well-done. The bigger or harder that job is, the greater the satisfaction.
  • Watching your children reach their milestones as they grow up.
  • (A corollary) A baby's one-toothed grin.
  • A clean house.
  • The cracking of the spine of a new book being opened for the first time.
  • A to-do list with all of the items checked off
That's my list for now. I hope to add more in a future post.

-Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, questions and feedback! be sure to subscribe to my page to read the latest.