Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

My mom and my boys. Christmas, 2013.
I'm a mama's boy, and I'm proud of it. So was George Bailey.

Ma Bailey had the best in mind for George, and deep down George knew it, even if he didn't listen to her sometimes.

The scene I have in mind is when Ma Bailey tells George to go visit Mary, who has just returned from college. She gives George his hat and pushes him away, sending him in the direction of Mary's house. Stubborn, George turns around and walks in the exact opposite direction his mother just sent him.

We all do that sometimes. Mom tells us something and we do the exact opposite. Sometimes it's out of spite. Sometimes it's because we think we know better. Sometimes we are confused. Sometimes mom just doesn't know the whole story. So we do the exact opposite of what mom recommends.

And if we are honest with ourselves, sometimes we find out we were wrong and secretly do what mom told us to do in the first place. And by we, I mean you. Because of course, I would never do that...let alone admit to it. :)

A few of the nuggets that mom has relentlessly thrown at me over the years, and which I will consequently never, ever forget include:
  • "Do you have a jacket." (even though it's 80 out).
  • "No cold babies."
And the ever-popular...
  • "Watch out for wet leaves."
As much fun as it is to heckle her about these from time to time, Mom has been constant. It started back before I was born, but I think it solidified when I almost died as a baby. I was born with hypothyroidism. But instead of my body not producing enough of the hormone to control muscle control, heart function, metabolic rate and brain development, I didn't have a thyroid gland at all. I went through the Baby Factory and Inspector #8 missed that little oversight.

Mama and me when I was just days...maybe even just hours old.
August 1974.
But my doctor didn't. But before he could control it, I was taken to the hospital, where I almost died. My parents were sent home to shower and rest, but they no more that got back home when the received a phone call from the hospital that they needed to come back right away because they were losing me. Being raised a Catholic, I have received a right that most people my age have never received. A priest gave me my last rights when I was six months old, in the hospital.

But I'm a fighter (ask my wife. Ask my mom). And I made it. And I think it made mom and I closer.

Thank you.

Happy Mother's Day mom! I love you.




Mom and I on May 6, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, questions and feedback! be sure to subscribe to my page to read the latest.