Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Movie Review - Lady for a Day

In my movie reviews, I give my brief thoughts on what I watched. Sometimes I will expound on those thoughts, but more often than not, I will just give a brief opinion. You can read plot descriptions on Internet Movie Database or on Amazon.

Lady for a Day, starring Warren William, May Robson, Guy Kibbee. Directed by Frank Capra (1933)

Source: http://goo.gl/xQhzWm
To what lengths will you go for family? How big of a lie will you tell? Who will help you? All of these questions are answered and more, in a fashion, in this Frank Capra classic.

It was nominated for Oscars in the categories of Best Picture, Best Actress in a Leading Role, Best Director, and Best Writing, Adaptation. It didn't win any, but it set the stage for Capra's next film, It Happened One Night (1934), which won five Oscars.

Once again, Capra digs into his stable of regulars, enlisting:
  • Guy Kibbee, who also appeared in Capra's Power of the Press and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and appeared with Stewart, Bondi and Ward in Of Human Hearts.
  • Joseph Walker, cinematographer who worked on It's a Wonderful Life and many other Capra films.
  • Robert Risken - Screenwriter who also worked on It's a Wonderful Life and many other Capra films.


Capra later remade this film as Pocketful of Miracles.

I give it 3 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, questions and feedback! be sure to subscribe to my page to read the latest.