Monday, October 5, 2015

Movie review - Harvey (1950)

This is a special week for this blog. This week, is completely dedicated to the film Harvey. Be sure to check it out on Wednesday and Friday. I will even take a break from my pictures of bells in order to post a Harvey-related photo. I hope you enjoy.

Source: http://goo.gl/PHpcU
In my movie reviews, I give my brief thoughts on what I watched. Sometimes I will expound on those thoughts, but more often than not, I will just give a brief opinion. You can read plot descriptions on Internet Movie Database or on Amazon.

Harvey. Starring Jimmy Stewart and Josephine Hull. 1950.

This is a great film, though a bit mysterious.

Based on a play written by Mary Chase, there is absolutely no doubt that Stewart's character, Elwood P. Dowd, an easy-going drinker, is absolutely nuts.

And then you get to the end of the film and question everything you have seen.

Who is crazy? Who is sane? How are those terms defined? Who defines them? What makes them so qualified? What quality of life do you want; that of the "sane" or that of the "insane"?

They are amazing questions to ponder.

This is a must-see for fans of Stewart and for fans of Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway plays.

4.5 out of 5 stars



This Harvey poster used to hang in my IAWL/Stewart Tribute hallway,
and is part of my personal collection.

Here is the trailer:


Stewart reprised his role in the made-for-TV version of Harvey in 1972 for the 
Hallmark Hall of Fame. I have never seen this version all of the way through .... nor can I find it anywhere to buy or rent .... but I post links to it here for you:

Part 1:

Part 2:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, questions and feedback! be sure to subscribe to my page to read the latest.