Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Movie Review - Harvey (1996)

In my movie reviews, I give my brief thoughts on what I watched. Sometimes I will expound on those thoughts, but more often than not, I will just give a brief opinion. You can read plot descriptions on Internet Movie Database or on Amazon.

This is part two of a three-part Harvey-themed week. Check out my post from Monday about the 1950 version of the film, and check out Friday's entry for Photo Friday. It's a real treat.

Harvey, Starring Harry Anderson, Leslie Nielsen, and Swoozie Kurtz (1996).

"My mother used to say to me...in this world, Elwood, you must be either oh so smart or oh so pleasant. For years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."
-Elwood P. Dowd
A painting by any other name is still Dowd...Elwood P. Let me give you my card.

And yet this 1996 version is 15 minutes longer than the original starring Jimmy Stewart.

It's not fair to compare the Stewart version to the 1996 version. One isn't a remake of the other. Instead, both of them are simply interpretations of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway play written by Mary Chase.

This one is equally good. However Stewart and Anderson bring different aspects to the character of Elwood P. Dowd. Stewart is more innocent, if not naive. Anderson is more playful.

Check it out and decide for yourself which one is your favorite.

I give this version 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, questions and feedback! be sure to subscribe to my page to read the latest.